According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, there are more than 300,000 crashes recorded in 2018. That sounds like a lot of people experiencing accidents on the road. Some of those collisions occur in Jersey County.
While some have sadly died, others have lived. Jersey County has a particularly dangerous roadway in and around Highway 67. Those who survive Highway 67 car wrecks in Jersey County have to endure their injuries and go through the painful recovery process.
That’s why some of the biggest concerns of victims are rehabilitative expenses in Jersey County car wrecks. Even a minor injury can lead to big expenses. If you are not careful, you may end up spending even your life savings, leaving you in debt and broke. Consult an experienced attorney if you find yourself in this situation.
How Much Does it Cost to Recover from Car Accident Injuries?
There’s no exact amount of money you will spend on your recovery. However, here are the different factors that would affect your rehabilitation expenses:
- The extent of injury – obviously, the more serious your injuries are, the bigger your expenses will be.
- The type of medical intervention given – wound cleaning is definitely cheaper compared to bone reconstruction. If you need certain operations to repair your internal organs, that would also lead to additional expenses.
- The length of recovery – recovering from your injury can take time. Some car accident injuries completely heal within a few weeks while others can take years or even a lifetime.
- Healthcare provider – if you need the help of more than one healthcare provider, then you have to pay each of them. For example, if you need a medical operation, you have to pay the surgeon, anesthesiologist, nurses, and other healthcare professionals who worked together to help you.
- Healthcare facility – staying long in a hospital makes it more difficult to recover financially. Think about people who have to stay in hospitals for months. By the time they get discharged, they would need to pay a big amount of money.
As you can see, there are a lot of expenses waiting for people who want to recover from injuries.
An Example of the Cost of Recovering from Car Accident Injuries
Just to give you an idea of the cost of car accident injury rehabilitation, take spinal cord injury for example. Spinal cord injury (SCI) is among the most common types of injuries developed after a car accident. One source mentioned that as much as 39% of car accident injuries involve the spinal cord.
Generally speaking, people who develop SCI will have to stay in the hospital for around 59 days. Part of the hospital stay may include about 15 days in the intensive care unit and 44 days in a rehabilitation unit. The moment you enter the hospital and receive treatment, your bills start to increase. In most cases, just the initial hospitalization costs around $140,000.
As you recover from SCI, your medical expenses would dramatically continue to grow. In just a year within the recovery phase, you are looking at over $200,000 in medical bills. While most people may recover, some may not fully regain their body’s functionality.
Contact a Jersey County Attorney for Car Crash Rehabilitative Costs
Rehabilitation is an important aspect of how a Jersey Count car accident victims regain their health and ability to perform tasks. It may take a few weeks of therapy; sometimes, the victim never recovers.
Speak to your doctor about your options and contact us to learn more about the best course of action to take. A skilled lawyer can help you recover rehabilitative expenses in Jersey County car wrecks.